Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Lessons From A Writing Life

My local library isn't the world's best, but it feeds my brain. I guess that's all I can ask. At least this last trip in, I actually had to tear myself away from the shelves so that I didn't overload myself. One book among the large pile I brought home was Terry Brooks "Sometimes The Magic Works".
Yes, Terry Brooks of The Sword of Shannara" fame.
This is one of those books that reads like you got to have coffee, or a few beer, with one of the most accomplished, lucky writers still alive.

My poor partner has been subjected to my mumblings at random moments for some time now, so I think she's used to me. But tonight, I just had to read her a little ... well, two passages really. These words express writing for me better than anything I could have stuttered out.
Here, read this, and if you're a writer, published or not, you'll understand and agree. I'll bet you even nod your head.
If you're a reader, you'll see a little of what makes writers tick.
And mumble...

"Writing is habit-forming. It is addictive. You get caught up in the challenge of the storytelling process. You become enchanted with the worlds and characters you create. The worlds are your home and the characters your friends. You come to know both as well as you know yourself. Born of you, they become a part of you...If I don't write, I become restless and ill-tempered. I become dissatisfied. My reaction to not writing is both physical and emotional. I am incomplete without my work. I am so closely bound to it, so much identified by it, that without it I think I would crumble into dust and drift away."

I couldn't have said it better myself, Mr. Brooks.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment